Guest Writer: ALICE KALSO
Silver Age Housing & Care Referrals
Moving from your home is hard at any age. Even harder as we grow older. Karin Miller, Geriatric Care Manager, suggests you look at the possibility of a move through the eyes of SAFETY.
Consider: Safety in the house
- Is the house accessible? Stairs? Bathroom, laundry on the main floor? Throw rugs, grab bars?
- Is home maintenance too much to deal with?
Safety from the outside
- Is there a danger of the person being taken advantage of?
- Is the person still driving safely?
Safety of person
- Is there memory loss? What about the ability to reason and make decisions?
- Does the elder know what to do in emergencies?
- Can the person still cook a meal? Take a shower safely?
- Socialization and isolation: Will the elder enjoy being with others in a group setting?
Make a plan
- List what is safe and unsafe
- Gather information
- Hire in-home help through a home care agency, this gives you another set of eyes to see what’s going on and to make sure basic needs are met.
- Discuss the ongoing situation as a family
- Consider objections and realistic alternatives
- Make a plan now and expect it to change.
This is a journey.
Silver Age helps seniors and their families locate trusted senior care providers when living at home is no longer an option. Our comprehensive knowledge of senior care options extends from Mill Creek to Maple Valley. Our goal is to make senior housing and care easy to understand, and make sure there are no surprises surrounding this big decision.
Communication is key to the process. We take the time needed to listen closely to the specific needs and desires of seniors and their families. Families come to us with a variety of needs, timelines, and financial abilities. We outline their best options for today and help them plan ahead for the unknowns of tomorrow.
Our personalized service, including transportation to and from tours of housing options, is typically offered at no cost (except when considering some Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs)).
We are available to visit you in your home or another location of your choice. If you or someone you love is searching for senior care, we would be honored to join you, and support you every step of the way.