Durable Power of Attorney and Medical Directives for Anyone 18 Years or Older

Many people think that a durable power of attorney and medical directive are only required for older adults. However, anyone 18 years or older should have both of these documents whether they need a will or not. If you have an 18 year old or unmarried child and you don’t have these documents most states will not allow you to make health care decisions or manage money for the child. That means if your young adult is in an accident and becomes disabled, even temporarily, a parent might need court approval to act on his or her behalf.

Fortunately the documents are easy to prepare and we recommend that you get them for any child or young adult 18 years and over. It is also important for newly married couples to establish these documents.

Please feel free to call our office with further questions on this subject or contact your estate planning attorney directly.